Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Wargames Foundry Deal... runs out Sunday!

    In case you may have missed it, The Foundry has a pretty good deal going on for a short while longer.
From the Foundry Website:

(Foundry logo used to publicize their products and offer
 - no trademark infringement intended!)
As of today (June 10, 2013)  we are reintroducing two of our army deals (see below) and bringing in the new postage prices, while continuing with our current £10 pack prices for the next four weeks. This will give you the best of both worlds for a short while! The buy 16 get 6 free deal will be restored when prices return to their previous levels. (This means the deal runs out Sunday July 7th).

1. WHEN YOU BUY THREE IDENTICAL PACKS:
YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EXTRA IDENTICAL PACK FOR FREE.
(Effectively, a 25% discount)

2. WHEN YOU BUY ANY EIGHT PACKS FROM THE SAME RANGE:
YOU WILL RECEIVE TWO EXTRA PACKS OF YOUR CHOICE FROM THAT RANGE FOR FREE.
(Effectively, a 20% discount)

    Although the great majority of my "new" French Napoleonic army figures are Foundry, I purchased them before their prices became insane; I really haven't seriously looked at Foundry figures in at least 10 years now due to their pricing. I am in the process of planning my new British Army for Waterloo and (eventually)  the Peninsula. The bulk of the Infantry and Artillery crew will be Old Glory - I have their Army card, and with that their prices are unbeatable. However, their (Napoleonic) cannons are unacceptably small, and their cavalry are not as good as the infantry. The Foundry Napoleonics are quite close in size to Old Glory (1st edition). Therefore, It would work to use Foundry for artillery pieces and maybe some cavalry , plus some officers, and special units where I don't need a full bag of 30 figures (Perry figures are also certainly in the running for extras for the Prussians and British).   I also need some more guns for my newly raised Prussian batteries; my original 12#  guns were Calpe, lovely models but extremely pricey. Finally, I need the Command figures to complete the two units of Foundry Austrian Hussars purchased in bulk from Freddy Avner at last year's Historicon flea market, and now would be a good time to get that done as well!

    With all the above in mind, I started to plan some possible purchases...

Prussians:
PN7/5  6# Field Gun/Howitzer  3 @ $6 plus 1 free = $18
PN7/5  "              "           "       2 more @ $6          = $12
Prussian Total = $ 30

British:
BGUN3  6lbers 6 @ $6 plus 2 free = $36
BGUN4  9lbers 6 @$6 plus 2 free = $36
BGUN6  5.5" Howitzer 2 @ $6 = $12
B130  Duke of Wellington and Staff  @ $30  (5 Mounted and 5 foot officers!)
British Total = $114

Austrians:  
AN63  Hussars Command  @$15
Austrian Total = $15

Grand Total = $159  (Free shipping on orders over $120 as well - good deal!)

That will allow me to provide the guns for the last three Prussian Batteries, provide all the British artillery I am ever likely to need (at a price even less than that of my favored Sash and Saber artillery pieces, and they don't do British guns anyway, which are rather distinctive), and put those 2 regiments of Austrian Hussars on the table, plus provide the bulk of the command figures I'll need for my British Army.

If you are thinking of getting some Foundry figures, I'd use this (US Independence Day) holiday weekend to get an order out... before the special offer expires.

Think patriotic for this 4th of July - buy red, white, and blue
(the British Union Jack, that is)

Peter

7 comments:

  1. That's a good deal. Wrong scale for me, though. That and the fact that I have several thousand unpainted figures already purchased and on the schedule.
    And once you have the British, you can paint the Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actual;ly pretty good as far as unpainted figures -probably 20:1 painted vs unpainted.

      Americans for the War of 1812... probably not, but you never know! :-)

      Peter

      Delete
  2. Whoops! I just ordered 11 packs (and hopefully 2 x free ones!)...and I'm going to a wargames show this weekend too....I'm going to have to be a tight on the wallet there now I fear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I started out with a plan to also order 2 regiments of Hussars and one of Dragoons (Prussian) plus the Prussian Command pack on the "Buy 8, get 2 free" plan, but finally decided that it was just more money than I wanted to spend right now, even if it was a good deal.

      Having my younger daughter in Veterinary school and my older daughter (aka the Princess Imperial) getting married next month is placing a major strain on the Imperial treasury! :-)

      Delete
  3. I haven't ordered any Foundry figures in years. Actually, the last time I ordered any Foundry figures, they were blowing them out at under $1/figure. That was a long time ago!

    Guns for my Peninsular project are either Sash and Saber or Front Rank. Since $6 per Foundry gun looks like a very good deal and much less expensive than FR, how would you rate the Foundry guns wrt size and compatibility with S&S and FR?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtually all of my Foundry figures were ordered circa 1995 when I replaced my aged Scruby French army. Price was quite reasonable then as you observe. I also all but ceased buying their figures once their prices started to get obscene.

      I don't have any Foundry Napoleonic guns... yet. I will have a lot shortly, LOL. My guess is that they run somewhat on the small side, but at $5 per gun I can live with that. They don't look grossly undersized on the pics on the website where the guns and crew are shown together. No question that Sash and Saber are my favorite... but they don't do British (or the Auistrian Cavalry "wurst guns", unfortunately). I like the Sash and Saber even better than the Perry guns. The old Minifigs guns were quite good, actually, but I don't know anywhere that you can get them now days> I may pick up some Perry Austrian Horse guns at Historicon (or not), but they don't sell them without the crew, which is a nuisance.

      Delete
    2. 1996 - 1998 seems to be the period in which I was collecting Foundry figures at cut rate prices. How I long for those days.

      I look forward to your gun review!

      Delete