Friday, October 20, 2017

Spanish Infantry Regiment "Burgos", 1808

A long overdue post for the second Spanish Line Regiment I painted...


This is Regimiento de Infanteria Burgos, first raised in 1694.  These are 25/28mm Miniaturas Dos de Mayo figures. 


I used Craftsmart "Shamrock Green' for the (1805) facing color, which appears on the cuffs and lapels, and on the piping of the collars and turnbacks. The buttons are yellow metal for this regiment. 


In 1791 the regiment was wearing the same pattern of facings and buttons, except in Violet instead of Green. 


That was then superseded by the short lived, universal  Medium Blue coats and Black facings of 1802, as it was for all Line regiments, before the re-introduction of regimental distinctions with the 1805 regulations. 


I bow have my Adolfo Ramos flags in hand, but need to add them to the regiments already completed, such as this one. 


Burgos was the original, historic capitol of Castile. Indeed, the Spanish language itself is said to have originated nearby. El Cid, hero of the Reconquista, was born nearby and educated in the city. Pictured above is the monument to El Cid, located in Burgos (picture from Wikimedia commons). 

20 comments:

  1. Glad to see Spanish troops, they look very nice...as the statue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice unit, you are getting a good start on your Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! There are quite a few more to go.

      Delete
  3. I like these Spanish infantry, Peter! Although I had not planned on fielding Spanish for my Peninsular War project, I now have a few battalions of my own on the way. You desire the credit for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. A Peninsular War collection with no Spanish? I am happy to have had a role in correcting such an oversight! :-)

      Delete
  4. Another great unit. This project really is starting to gain some momentum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. I have a LONG way to go to catch up to your Spaniards!

      Delete
  5. nice paint job. I'm quite tempted to do some Spanish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I'm happy with how they came out. I have been painting Napoleonics since about 1969, and planning a Spanish army for about 3 years, but it is only now that it is getting off the ground.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Spanish troops, it's very tempting but I shall resist!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Iain! If not now, there's always 5 or 10 (or more) years from now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see this - was looking to paint this exact unit so nice to see. I’m doing it up for the Latin American Wats of Of independence- in 1818 the Burgos Regiment was considered an elite unit as a result of its performance in the Peninsula and was the backbone of the Spanish army that fought against Argentina and Chile. In this theatre they were described as ‘African’ so a considerably darker skin tone than in this paint job. Any reference to this in the peninsula? Or was this a post 1815 happening? If so the veteran status would seem overblown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not aware of anything that would link this regiment to Africa then, but who knows? I suspect as regular troops with recent combat experience fighting in a revolutionary war, they would be "elite".

      Delete
    2. The uniform depicted here is of course out of date for 1818; by 1812, most Spanish regular troops would have worn the British supplied uniforms with stovepipe shakos, dark blue coats and light blue trousers. I would hardly be surprised if the uniforms changed again by 1818!

      Delete