Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Duke of York's Regiment of Foote



This is the first of many new units to be added to my English Civil War  armies - the Duke of York's own Regiment of Foote. 


 I wanted to add another unit of Royalist Foote wearing red coats (the existing unit of Redcoats is the King's Lifeguard of Foote).


I had planned to do a different regiment, but as I was completing the unit, I found this flag on line. It is the flag for the 4th captain, and I thought the red and black "gyronny" pattern was very striking. 


I painted the coats with a faded red (Delta CC Madras Red), and used a medium blue (Delta CC Bluejay) for the "12 apostles" and other highlights.  


My color inkjet printer was on the fritz, so I had to print the flags out in greyscale, and then paint over the pattern. At least the resulting colors are very vivid!


These Old Glory 25's are mostly wearing "Montero" caps. I plan to use them mostly for representing raw/recently raised units.


Image I creased for the flag above; a fairly simple manipulation of an existing on line image.

18 comments:

  1. Fine Regiment of Foote, Peter!

    If you have not already planned out your other foote recruitments, I have a number of surplus flags (GMB, Body Banners, God Knows What Else) I would be happy to send your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The present wave of ECW reinforcements will ultimately include 3 new regiments of Foote, 4 small regiments of Horse, plus a slew of casualty and command figures. I seem to have miscounted my pikes, so I have enough figures to do another four or five(!) regiments of Foot... once I order the Musketeers to go with them.Those units will probably not see the painting table before the end of 2019, but if you have surplus flags, some might well find a home on the tabletop by 2020!

      Delete
    2. That's great! As you may have been over zealous in pike purchases, I was over zealous in grabbing flags. If you have some favorite foote regiments you want to field, let me know and I will see if I have them. Otherwise, I will send an assortment of 50/50 Royalist/Parliament. Since most flag packs contain two flags from the same regiment and I only use one per regiment, I likely have a number of singletons.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jon,

      Let's talk privately; I probably only have a few flags I might need, so probably best to check what you have. BTW, I probably have a similar situation with certain Napoleonic flags, especially French Guard units...

      Delete
  2. Great looking unit and a great looking flag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, handsome uniform and flag...and great paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice of regiment, Ive just painted the self same regiment, I must admit it was because of the flags. Very distinctive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robbie! Why do we choose to model the units we do - usually it;'s unique uniforms and/or flags, and famous units!

      Delete
  5. Great looking unit and lovely flag! I might have to pinch it for when my red regiment is royalist!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. That regiment looks great; the faded jackets suggests to me that this is a veteran regiment that has been in the field for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I had poor quality dye more in mind; the plant based dyes of this era were much less vivid than the colors we are used to from the late 19th century on.

      Delete
  7. Great looking regiment, Peter. A period I've yet to get into, but your work makes it tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. The ERCW was actually the second period I ever did. The bulk of my ECW figures (Minifigs) were painted back when I was in college in the mid 1970's!

      Delete
  8. Lovely work, and the flag looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete