Sunday, March 10, 2019

John Hampden's Regiment of Horse


John Hampden was a key opposition leader in Parliament. He raised a regiment of green coated Foote, but evidently may also have raised a Troop of Horse, which I have raised to a Regiment!


The men chiefly came from his estates in Buckinghamshire. I have them mounted, far too uniformly, but in my usual toy soldier fashion, on Roan steeds. 


Hampden and his men fought at Edgehill and the siege of Reading. Hampden was mortally wounded in action in June of 1643. 


These are Old Glory 25/28 mm figures, "Cavalry in buffcoats and helmets, charging", with an extra officer from the "High Command" set. That way I can get two small regiments of 6 each by using the 10 figures in the set, plus a couple of extra officers. 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Garry! They are a change from my very large, older ECW regiments of Horse (most of which had 18 - 20 figures each).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine herd of matching horseflesh, Peter! Have you dropped the regiment size down to six to accommodate TtS!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More or less, to accommodate For King and Parliament, yes. It really depends upon the "box" size. With 6" / 150mm boxes, only 2 x 60 or 80 mm wide stands will fit in a single line; also depth starts to become an issue with 2 ranks. I am strongly debating going to slightly larger 20mm/8" boxes for FK&P.

      "Dutch" units I deploy with 3 stands in a caracoling type column, so 9 figures each.

      With 200 mm boxes, I'd use three stands in a single line for "Swedish horse, and 4 stands in a double line for "Dutch". I may well do that for Historicon; not enough time to do that (and the tables are too small) for my planned game at Havoc in 4 weeks.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. They should look good on the table. I take it the "box size" is a construct for the rules you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, TTS and FK&P are played on a square grid table - back to our days at the home of Charlie Sweet! The grid is uaully marked in a subtle rather than a bod fashion, such that it is (almost) invisible, except when you want to see it. A "box" is the term for a single cell (square) in the grid.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking unit. I lived in Buckinghamshire for a couple of years and thought the name John Hampden sounded familiar, I’m glad I wasn’t living there 350;years ago, as I might have been recruited with this lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although a complete lack of horse-riding ability would probably have saved me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, lawrence. As for serving in the ranks, Hampden's Regiment of Foote, also Greencoats, was much larger and better known, so trailing a pike you might have been! :-)

      Delete