Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2026

American War of Independence buildings

One thing I needed for the AWI project was some suitable buildings for Colonial America. There wasn't that much available, so I went for some Perry/Renedra items.

This is the Perry church.

I have one more like it that I plan to assemble and paint in different colors. 

This is a Colonial building by Perry. 

I painted it in colors similar to Putnam cottage in Greenwich (CT) where I grew up.  

Our house has a somewhat similar paint scheme, too. 

Nice piece, it comes with additional fences and some accessories. 

One of 2 very rural "log cabin" designs form Renedra.

I have another of these to assemble and paint, too!

Basic but very suitable for the frontier... which was much closer to the coast then!

A second Rendra design, with different roofing and painted differentlty.

Once again, simple but effective, and not too much footprint onthe table.

I have another of these to assemble and paint as well.


I also have a LOT of split rail and other fencing to base and paint too. 


Finally, last month I backed the Rebels and Redcoats Kickstarter for scalable 3-D printable STL files. Now I just need to decide what I want and have some print those items!

22 comments:

  1. Nice buildings and should look great on the table, painting loads of fencing is a chore I don't envy, necessary evil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie. The issue with the fencing isn't painting - I could do that in a week or so. The issue is how to base the split rail fencing with its odd zig-zag configuration!

      Delete
  2. I backed the Rebels and Redcoats Kickstarter as well and that will be my winter printing project. Looking forward to seeing what you choose to do.

    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of things that will affect that decision. First is the planned "Campaign in a Day " covering the time of the Saratoga Campaign, which will likely involve at least the mid-Atlantic and New England colonies. I am thinking about doing Brandywine for 2027, so the buildings for that would be obvious choices. For use with my 28 mm figures, I am thinking of scaling the buildings down to 18 or even 15 mm to keep the foot print manageable.

      Delete
  3. Superb work on these buildings! The colour choices look spot on for Colonial America, and the modest footprint on those log cabins is ideal for wargaming tables. They are going to look grand once set out amongst all that fencing!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy. Yes, the fencing really is needed to scream "Colonial America"! All of these buildings have fairly limited footprints, which is an attraction for sure! That's why the Indian longhouses had to be 15mm. I may be answering my scaling down question on the 3D printing here!

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a very wise conclusion! Keeping the footprints manageable lets you build up proper dense settlements without choking the battlefield. Good luck with the 3D printing choices and tackling that mountain of fencing!

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
    3. There's also the issue of storage; even with a full basement, there are limits! :-)

      Delete
    4. Too true! No matter how much storage space we think we have, miniature buildings and scenic terrain always manage to claim every last inch.

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
    5. Indeed; one can see why guys in the UK rent club space!

      Delete
  4. These came up really well. Great work on them Peter. I was struck by the lack of choice when I went looking. A great idea to paint one in your former house's colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! Yes, I was really struck by how little was available. There is a LOT of stuff in that KS, though!

      Delete
  5. Some nice terrain pieces Peter - I have the Perry church too - its a very useful building

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! It looks great and the *small *foot print is a BIG plus!

      Delete
  6. Great work Peter, love the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. Churches in a style similar to this (with a LOT of minor variations) are pretty iconic to New England. Indeed, with such minor architectural changes (and a lot more windows/longer), it would easily represent our own Congregational church, built in 1812.
      I plan to pain the other with tan siding and dark frame, a scheme often used by Dutch Reformed churches in NY.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic buildings and great paintjob. I often visit Your site for inspiration since I also am really into AWI. Using old school minifigs,Falcon and tradition miniatures. As for buildings I use Hovels models . Look at their ACW range. Lots of useful stuff from cabins to mansions Thanks for a great site. Greeting s from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoy the blog! I have plenty of Minifigs still myself!
      I have a lot of Hovels from their other ranges but looking them, you're right, many are suitable for rural Colonial America.
      Greetings back from a 3rd generation descendent of a Danish immigrant! :-)

      Delete
  8. Yes I have seen all those lovely napoleonics of Yours. Really nice minifigs. Do You buy them from Us or Uk? Denmark....good to hear. I live in Skåne/Scania which became Swedish in 1658. I actually can see wonderful Copenhagen from here across Öresund. The Scanian wars ,an very interesting, horrible and overlooked wargaming period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way back when, Minifigs were actually manufactured in the USA as well under license as "Minifigs USA"; they were all purchased from there. We even went on a "pilgrimage to their manufacturing site (which isn't too far from where I live today), as related here: https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2012/12/of-dice-and-tin-men-war-college.html

      Yes the Scanian wars are interesting and get very little attention!

      Unfortunately, I have very little actual Danish heritage at this point. My great grandfather was an Andreassen; he was a farmer (like most of us back then!) served in the Danish army during the 2nd Schleswig-Holstein War, and didn't much care for the experience. He was (rightly) convinced that more and bigger wars were coming to Europe, and didn't want his family there when they happened. Thus he moved to the US. When they arrived, he forbade the speaking of Danish in the family. "We left the old country and we are not Danes any longer; we are Americans, and we will only speak English". At first, they lived in the upper Midwest, where many Scandinavians settled, and everyone understood Scandinavian names. Still he had 12 children, 6 born in Denmark (Anton, Einer, Christian, etc) and 6 born in the US (Henry, Harry [my grandfather], etc). Ultimately, the winters there were too cold for them, and they moved to Virginia, where *nobody* understood Scandinavian names, and everyone just called him "Mr. Anderson". So he just changed it to that, and not even the Danish "Andersen". The only remnants of Scandinavia were celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve, and a glass of Peter Heering at Thanksgiving! :-)

      Delete