Saturday, September 19, 2020

Roman Villa and lesser dwellings

 

As part of "Roman Month", I assembled this Roman Villa.


It is more of a country farm than a grand residence.


It was built from a downloaded file from Wargames Vault, printed to card stock using a home laser printer. 


It is a 15mm scale model, with the base being roughly 6 x 7"; thus it would fill a 6" box for a 28mm To the Strongest! game. 


The construction was straightforward, although some instructions would have been nice. Only the roofing gave me trouble!


Top down view; I have a couple more smaller Roman paper buildings to add as well. 


Also from Wargames Vault, 2 versions of a Roman farmhouse or country cottage. 


I see that I forgot to paint in  (black) what would have been one of the patio roof supports in the center; since done.


I wonder if the real roofs were as saggy as mine?!


The glue is still drying on the flowering tufts...


Top down view.


Another version with different coloration.


This time I followed the less than clear dirctions and but out the supports for the roof of the small courtyard


Looks pretty good, but it was royal pain in the @$%!


Both of these structures would be usable long after the Ancient era, really. 


Top down view; I'm not sure about the blue roof. I wonder if it was supposed to be more slate colored? 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. They are mostly intended for use with To the Strongest!

      Delete
  2. Terra-cotta was the most common roofing material, slate stone in Britain was common enough there and in northern Gaul. Some Romans were fancy enoug to go with glazed tile on the roof so I think you are OK.

    BTW they look great. I have had decent luck using a hot iron to smooth out wobbly paper items (don't let the Missus catch you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your buildings have worked out well, particularly the villa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter; the Villa is the best of the lot for sure.

      Delete
  4. Great looking buildings...and nice job on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil. This should be all that I need for Roman, etc style buildings, I think.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. The typical Roman "buildings around a courtyard" style design makes it look a bit like a mini fortress!

      Delete
  6. Nice additions to your terrain selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice terrain pieces Peter. For a minute there I thought you were venturing into 15mm battles, until I read that they will be filling a TtS grid box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, one of my better5 Hobby decisions was to stick with 25/28 mm for everything (except my 15mm Renaissance Galleys).

      Delete
  8. Blue suede tile. Great. Where is Elvis?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice collection of ancient buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete