Saturday, December 10, 2022

Hessen-Darmstadt: Leib Brigade, and The Alps Aflame Kickstarter by Piano Wargames

 

As regular readers might recall, I have backed several excellent Kickstarters by Lucas Luber of Piano Wargames in Ingolstadt, Bavaria, Germany. The second one covered the Duchy of Wurzburg and the Army of Hessen-Darmstadt. 


These are Lucas' figures, painted to represent the Hessen-Darmstadt Leib Brigade, with its light blue facings. This is just block painting, as ide from a bit of shading on the bicorne, followed by the "magic wash". I think they are just awesome figures! No broken bayonets, etc. at all , after Lucas made them a bit more robust. 


 As of  January of 1809,  each such Brigade was composed of 3 battalions; 2 of Musketeers and 1 of  Fusiliers.  


The Fusilier battalions wore the same uniform as the Musketeers, except that they had green coats and pants, as opposed to the "Prussian Blue" coats and white pants of the Musketeers. Both uniforms were adorned with lace to the button holes, and the units in German wore rather old fashioned bicornes, which seem to have persisted as late as 1812. 


The pompom and sword knots were colored by company - 1st white, second black, 4rd Blue,  and the 4th red. The second battalion has the same scheme, except the top halves of the pompoms were white; the first company of the second battalion had yellow pompoms topped white for differentiation. . 



The Alps Aflame Kickstarter is live, and closes December 22nd. It wound up including even more than anticipated, and all stretch goals have been unlocked! Lucas has delivered excellent service and on time delivery of his three previous KS projects. Delivery is expected in April of 2023!


Free Flags

All supporters will again receive a free PDF with flags for Bavaria, Austria and the Tyrol. 

These can be printed out at home and will be uploaded for free to  http://pianowargames.de/  when the campaign has ended. 

Just a few examples; there will be more added!

Who doesn't love free flags?!  :-)



I already have a pretty large collection of Tyroleans by Eureka, but I couldn't resist getting a set of each of these (except the high command, as I already have most of the key characters!)



Aren't these awesome figures? I have in mind to expand my Bavarian contingent for a while, so I got enough figures for 4 more line and one light infantry units, plus some artillery... 


Now, I have PLENTY of Austrians, but even so I couldn't resist a pair of infantry units plus the artillery and High Command. 

These are excellent figures; already having more Jagers than I can ever possibly use, I have resisted them....so far!


Well, of course I got these to go with the center companies of my Line units!


Definitely got a unit of these lovelies; Lucas says he will do separate figures for the Chevaulegers as part of the next KS!




Once again, I have quite a lot of Landwehr already, but I got a unit of these, too!  :-)


Free  figures; what more is there to say about that?  :-)



I have resisted these, so far! Once again, Lucas plans to do separate Dragoon figures (as well as the Hungarians and Grenadiers) as part of his next KS!


So far I have successfully resisted these as well.

Well, of course I had to have these, right?!


Cows?  Oh, yeah!  :-)

Don't need these, but great for those who want units in the later shakos! By the way, the Hessians above also had separate heads to facilitate units in shakos or bicornes, as required. 


They are so cute, so of course I got set of these!


I don't need this, but it is still a great free add on!


Lucas added this after the KS had already begun, due to popular demand (and achieving all of the stretch goals within a few days!) Added to my purchase!


These too were added after the start of the KS. Lucas says 12 lbers (and I hope, cavalry guns) will be in the next campaign.  Meanwhile, yep, got some of these, too!


With less than 10 days to go in 2022 when Kickstarter collects the funds, I am going to pretend I am the US Congress, and the cost of these wonderful figures will be included in the 2023 budget!  :-)
The figures from the previous three KS can all be ordered from Lucas' website. He may even allow you to add them to a pledge for this Kickstarter!

16 comments:

  1. Your painted examples of the previous kick starter are very nice, Peter, and the new figures shown in great detail above are certainly mouth watering....do I need more Austrians....possibly...but most likely I will go with Perry plastic cavalry! If money were no object, however, these would be pretty much irresistible !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood; for us in the US right now, the price is pretty reasonable, with the Euro being down to little more than $1 in value! Shipping for the KS is only 25 Euros no matter how large the order, which is very reasonable as well now days!

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Lieb Brigade Peter. I have been tracking my order from Lucas for the past month or so, and it appears it may have finally arrived in Brisbane which means I should have it within the next couple of days. I'm very much looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great, Lawrence; what did you order?

      Delete
    2. A bit of a mixture. Some Wurzburg dragoons, artillery and a line battalion, a couple of Wurttemberg line and light battalion, the Wurttemberg foot guards and Garde du Corps, and the Hessen-Darmstadt chevau-legers and the same line battalion you have just completed. I have a fairly sizable Front Rank Wurttemberg force to complete, and have half a dozen Perry Confederation the Rhine battalions in the pile, so these will be great additions. The delivery arrived yesterday which was a surprise as it was a Sunday. The figures look every bit as good as they do on the website. Lovely stuff.

      Delete
    3. The whole Wurzburg contingent! I might have gotten them had I not already had the Perry Wurzburg infantry. The Hessian Chevaulegers look great, as does everything else. Just started out painting them this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Superb figures and great painting Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. Not nearly as good as the works of art done by the pros above, but still darn good looking, I think!

      Delete
  4. Leib units very nicely done and excellent sculpts.
    I eagerly await your next post about spending/budgeting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, this year's version might have one of those big red "CENSORED" stamps across it. The big problem is that Lucas will probably do at least 2 Kickstarters in 2023, and it looks like those will focus on the Austrians, the remaining Bavarians, and he is talking about starting on the French at some point. There are still 1809 Saxons, Badeners, and the myriad small Rhinebund states to do (I'd personally like to see Frankfurt). So, I guess I had better not stop working yet!

      Delete
    2. Good one! Yeah, I await the accounting too!

      Delete
    3. You guys are no fun! :-)
      At least working a lot more than I was supposed to this past year translated to a big incentive payout this month, with a smaller one to come later in the month.

      Delete
  5. Peter, your Hessians look great! Some of your best work yet, I think. The Tyrolean Revolt is very tempting but I have enough on my unfinished plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jon! I was very happy with how they came out. There are two more infantry "brigades" to post. The Hessian cavalry, artillery, and high command are under way on the painting desk as well. I am particularly eager to do the Hessian Chevaulegers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, gonna be a Hessian year. I am getting the Tyroleans, including the livestock. Gotta love the goats. Although those Austrian gun crews look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all look (and are!) good, that's the problem! :-)
      Tyroleans and goats; don't Devils have horns?

      Delete