Monday, March 18, 2019

The Earl of Northampton's Regiment of Horse



The Earl of Northampton raised this unit of Horse in 1642, and it served with the Oxford army until 1646. One source says the regiment wore green coats, so I went with that.


The Colonel, the 2nd Earl of Northampton, was killed in action at Hopton Heath in 1643, the title and the regiment then passing to his son .


The exceeding useful British Civil War Regimental wiki  says the unit had blue coronets with blue and white fringes, but I liked this flag better, with the green field complementing the coats.


The motto on the flag is an insult to the Parliamentarian commander, the Earl of Essex, "whose wife was notoriously unfaithful".


My color printer remaining uncooperative, I printed out the flag in black and white and then painted over the design. The flag is from the Dux Humunculorum blog; there quite a few more ECW flags on his blog.  (Somehow the inscription makes me think of a political figure and his alleged pastimes in Moscow, but we'll leave it at that!). 

20 comments:

  1. Outstanding looking Regiment! I will look out for them on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. They should make their tabletop debut this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Exciting. I hope we get to see some close ups of them giving the Riff Raff what for.

      Delete
    3. We will see... actually, NEXT weekend!

      Delete
  2. Another cracking looking unit, with a very interesting corner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I must confess the flag is a favorite, although there were quite a few Royalist cornets with similar themes!

      Delete
  3. Well done. I like the flag. Need more like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, and the green jackets look splendid with the buff you have used on the headgear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence; they do have a certain "out for a jy-ride" air to them!

      Delete
  5. Dear God man, you're knocking these units out at a rate of knots, and jolly fine ones they are as well. Looking forward to the Soggy Bottom fight (sounds wrong however I type it) but not to having a soggy bottom which I gather is something that may bedevil me in old age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; that is it for new units for a while, but I have a stable of new command figures and a bevy of casualty figures in process. I am looking forward to the action as well, and I pray that neither you nor TCMB ever have to deal with a soggy bottom personally... unless, of course you have young children or grandchildren, in which case it is sort of de rigueur for a period of time!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The crazy insult/political cartoon cavalry flags are a quirky attraction of the ECW!

      Delete
  7. Nice unit and a great flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete