Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Historicon 2018 - other games

I had less time than usual to tour the convention snapping shots of interesting looking games, but I did still manage to take quite a few photos of other games.


At least the third year that Joe Swartz has has run his series of different  games on the same massive terrain boards. I have watched him set up, take down, and run some of them each year. This one is Hadrian’s Wall. Good stuff, and much better lighting this year in the foyer to the Ballroom.


"Dried Corn and Swampfoot" - Even without the troops this terrain is very appealing,


Islawanda in 15mmm. David Burton ran this big game at least three times right near our games; it deservedly won a PELA award. 


There is a nice write up of the game here. 

I believe this is DAK and Dragons 2.0, with another PELA award visible. The zone in the foreground is presumably a dungeon/temple complex. 


Zone 1 - North African Desert.


Zone 2 - jungle and Egyptian ruins in a ? hidden valley.


A few prehistoric creatures too, it seems!


A very large, elaborate Necromunda table. 


More of he same.


A second zone of the same table.


Lots of ships!


ww2 naval action on the stage of the amphitheater; same dim lighting as the Flea market, held on the audience portion of the theater.


The siege of St. Elmo (Malta), 1655.


Doug Fisher ran this super looking game on custom boards three times.


Ottoman heavy guns bombard the Fort, held by the Knights of St John and the local Maltese. 


Of course there's no way our own Ken Baggaley could resist such a game! Another well earned PELA award was given to Doug for this one. 


Superb terrain for this ACW game.


Beautiful detail.


28 mm Sash and saber figures were used. 


I believe this fine game won Best of Show, so presumably it was as fun  to play as it was pretty to look at!


The Siege of Minas Tirith - Battle of Pelennor Field. 28 mm.


I believe this terrain is for  The Rescue of Marguerite Boudreaux; 28 mm French andf Indian War with Sharp Practice.


Note the waterfall!


Some shots from the HAWKS room - a Napoleopnic skirmish game in the Peninsula.


An amphibious landing...  Operation Sea Lion Begins.


10mm  American Civil War -  The Battle of Chaffin's Farm, 29 Sept 1864.


? Battle of Medina del Rio Seco.


I believe this is Hares before the Eagle, run by Brian Cantwell. 


Very nice paper (?) galleys and 6 mm troops (?).


One of a number of 15 mm Napoleonic games with ESR, played in the hotel lobby.


Close up, unfortunately quite blurry. Those little men must have been moving really fast!


The terrain in the Ancients competition seemed better than past years, but I only had time to taker a shot of the Return of the Trojan Bunny. Elmer, you'd better check the Fuddland arsenal for missing bunnies...

20 comments:

  1. The ships in the Hares Before the Eagle game are indeed paper ships from the Roman Seas line by Hotz Artworks (and available through Wargames Vault and RPGNow among others). These minis are 6mm Baucus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation, Brian. The effect was very pleasing!

      Delete
  2. A lot of great looking games, Peter. Some of the layouts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certain that I missed quite a few others, as I was more busy than usual with my games and Tim's both! I didn't even try to explore any of the smaller rooms aside from that for the HAWKS.

      Delete
  3. Some terrific games there, most of which I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed if I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Ottomans would have felt at home at Malta, and your Spanish at Talavera! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lots of really good looking games there!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking variety of games, cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and as I said, I doubtless missed more than usual!

      Delete
  6. great photos, the games are all quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most games at Historicon range from good to excellent set ups. Huzzah in Maine seems like a great show as well; had Historicon stayed at Fredericksburg this year, I might have gone there instead.

      Delete
  7. Got to love that waterfall ! ESR system is intriguing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very nice piece of work there!
      Being well settled with FoB, I really haven't given ESR any consideration at all. They have made a nice range of products to support their system, however.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a lot of fun, Peter. I have read through Et Sans Resultant, and the rules seem solid. Field of Battle are great too, though, so if you're happy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nothing against ESR at all. Indeed, I know only a little about the rules. Since I am more than happy with the rules I use (FoB2, and Snappy Nappy for the Campaign events) already there is really little reason for me to look further. There would have to be some innovative, appealing aspect to them to tempt me, and the relatively little that I have read about them hasn't done that. At least not yet... :-)

      Delete
  9. Hailing from Malta, I am particularly intrigued by the great looking St Elmo siege game. Do you know which rules were used?

    (PS The siege was in 1565)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the PEL (which listed the 1655 date), the rules were "Siege Swein Forkbeard's Castle".

      (Date cited was as listed in the PEL - for sure you'd likely no the correct date, and you are of course correct - 1565!)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the picture journey. Some outstanding terrain work in on some of these tables!

    ReplyDelete