Saturday, August 25, 2018

Where there's a Wall there's a Way!


Back in 2016, I bought a number of products from Stonehouse Miniatures, including 2 sets of their 28 mm "Hewn Fieldstone walls". They of course sat around unopened until I realized that I could use these pieces for both the "Fortresses" for my Snappy Nappy campaign game, and also the walled gardens at Talavera.


The two sets combined have a LOT of walls!


A sort of "garden maze" layout.


In the two sets combined there 8 corners, 2 gates, 14  4" straight sections, and 2 each straight sections with "T" and "X" junsctions that can allow the walls to branch.


Here's several more possible layouts with the pieces.


This shot shows the "T" and "X" sections. Handy for something like a series of garden walls abutting houses, such as at Aspern.


This walled area is 16' x 8".


This one is about 8" x 8".


The walls are made of off white resin, so first I spray painted them all flat black.


The walls were then dry brushed with Craftsmart dark grey, followed by Craftsmart  grey (form Michael's - very inexpensive, not great coverage, but that's a bit of an asset when used for dry brushing like this).


To give some more interest, I did the tops of the walls by dry brushing with Craftsmart Brown, followed by Craftsmart Golden Brown. The doors were dry brushed with Golden Brown followed by Craftsmart Kaki. The bases were dry brushed with Craftsmart Shamrock Green. The paths to the gate were painted with Craftsmart Expresso. 


Materials used, minus 1 can of $1.99 flat black paint from Walmart. 


While I was in a Terrain mood, I also cut up the second rubber backed coir mat I had purchased at Home Depot a year or so ago; so now I have twelve 8 x 6 inch "wheat fields", four 6 x  6 inch, and four 8 x 8 inch fields. Surely enough for any conceivable set up!

16 comments:

  1. Love these beautiful walls, and so many possible combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. The same manufacturer makes 3 other styles of 28 mm walls.

      Delete
  2. Those are very nice, and very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both useful, the walls are especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I was happy with how they came out.

      Delete
  4. Great looking walls and useful fields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain; I expect to get a lot of use out of both!

      Delete
  5. Some useful pieces indeed, well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done, and I recognise the walls from the Peninsular campaign. A decent craft paint is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As time was running out prior to Historicon, I left about 1/3 of these pieces unpainted. This past week I painted those, and added a second, lighter dry brush to the capstones and doors.

      Delete
  7. Very useful pieces, Peter! One rarely has too many walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; that's why I bought 2 packs! :-)
      I consider painting each set differently (more sandstone sort of color), but decided the greater flexibility with them all the same was a better idea.

      Delete
  8. Those look terrific! I agree with you and Jon: one can never have too many walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. I certainly do have a lot of walls now!

      Delete