Having some decent looking Vineyard terrain that was also practical for the wargamnes table has been one of my terrain objectives for some time. My freind Michael, aka Wargamer Rabbit, has a great tutorial on how he made his. I had been meaning to give his method a try, but.... it had yet to happen!
As some readers might recall, I saw this rather nifty item in the Flea Market at Historicon; $10 for a bag of 10 pairs of shrubs/grapevines... or 3 bags for $20! So I bought three, thinking they would be pretty easy to turn into vineyard terrain.
I get to work on them last week. I decided to use some of the many Litko 60 x 20 mm MDF bases that I had on hand. 2 clumps of two fit very well onto each of these bases, which I first painted dark brown.
Taking WR's advice, I painted the edges and underside of the bases dark brown as well, to avoid the distraction of unpainted MDF seen on overturned sections. There was enough of these shrubs/vines in the three packs to make 15 sections, or about 30+ inches of terrain.
I then applied white glue and fine "earth" flock to the bases. Here's the finished product on a light green terrain cloth.
A view down the rows. Note the colored flock (actually lilac colored, rather than pink), sort of suggesting grapes.
Top down view of the rows of vines.
Here's a picture on my usual grey background (which is the cover for our outdoor hot tub!). I find this background, and diffused natural light on a cloudy day, gives much more accurate colors
In vino veritas!