Thursday, November 26, 2020

A Thanksgiving "Chimera" mystery...

 Earlier this week a heavy box arrived at our home, addressed to me. It looked like a typical wargames purchase... except I hadn't ordered anything recently!

The return address indicated it originated in Poulsbioro, WA , and was sent by a Phillip Chimara. Now, I have come to know quite a few people from Washington state now, from various interests but this wasn't a name familiar to me. A little sleuthing revealed no membership in HMGS, no blog or facebook account that I could identify, and a few odd records of wargames played as part of a club project somewhere 10 and 15 years ago. Poulsboro turned out to be a quite interesting small town on Liberty Bay settled by Norwegian immigrants, 


In the box were:  3 antique, non consecutive volumes of Napier's History of the Peninsular War, which I do not have - definitely useful reading material!


A bag of Old  Glory Cretan Archers (the misspelling on the label is pretty funny, actually). These will actually be quite useful additions for my Macedonian and Republican Roman armies. 


Lastly there was another Priority mail box inside that contained horse and riders for 20 Chevau-leger Lanciers of uncertain manufacture, perhaps old Minifigs? Evidently they were acquired as an Ebay purchase according to the enclosed undated packing slip. I noted with amusement that the norses were moubnted on tongue depressors as painting sticks, much the way that I do my own!There was no letter of explanation or other clue as to why these items arrived on my doorstep!


Now, as I have the return address for the sender, I shall of course write back to confirm receipt and convey my thanks. However, I still have no idea what my connection to him is; it seems rather like the classic trick of prepaying the toll for the (unknown) car behind you. Regardless, it seems I have a benefactor to be thankful for! :-)




10 comments:

  1. Wow, not a mystery lead adventure forum gift?

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been active on LAF for a couple of years since it refused to recognize my password, and requests to the administrator for as password reset have been ignored.

      Delete
  2. So did you know you'd signed up for secret santa? The Cretins look good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The figures, looking at the horses, look like they maybe hinchcliffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you might be right. Hinchliffe is one of the few manufacturers notably lacking from my collection!

      Delete
  4. Peter, I received a mystery package from Phil this week too. You know him. He is the author of the blog, Toy Soldier Studio (http://15mm25mm.blogspot.com/).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, THAT Phil! :-)
      Thanks for letting me know, Jon!
      Seems like Phil's engaged in some Pay it Forward!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely thing for Phil to have done. I always enjoy his work on his blog when he posts as it is always terrific stuff. For some reason I thought he was based in the UK, although I'm not sure why. He's always very supportive of other people's efforts as well.

    ReplyDelete