Friday, June 3, 2022

Bill's Medievals, Part 1

 

Along with the Hittite and other biblical figures that I purchased from the estate of my late freind, Bill McHugh, there was also a small contingent of Late Medieval troops. 


Although my collection includes some Late Medieval troops (most notably, my Hussites), I do also have a smattering of Perry metal  HYW English figures. 


In planning for my Pavia game at Historicon next month, it became clear that I could use another unit or two of Arquebusiers. 


With Historicon only  about 6 weeks away, and with still more WotR figures to opaint by then, I recalled that I had these fellows from Bill's collection. 


They needed only some minor touch up work, and some basing to be ready for action on the tabletop. 


I do not know the manufacturer of these rather chunk figures


On the WotR side, despite the painting frenzy of the past 4 months, it was clear that some additional troops might be needed for the 5 WotR games Tim Couper and David Knight are planning to run at Historicon. 

While not perfect, it seemed to me that these fellows coul;d certainly serve as WotR Billmen in a pinch. 


Manufacturer once again unknown. 


The proportions on these sculpts are clearly off a bit, but at tabletop distance that won't be too apparent. 


Once again,. some minor touch up basing was all it took for this unit to become battlefield ready!

14 comments:

  1. Your arquebusiers are really leaning into their stance. Those guns must kick like a mule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are properly probably ,ore "handgunners" than Arquebusiers, and as you likely know, those were often fire d from the chest rather than the shoulder. I'm sure the weapons all had a heck of a kick. Even centuries later, Napoleonic soldiers were know to sometimes deliberately spill some of the powder charge to lessen same!

      Delete
  2. Great old figures Peter which sculpts and manufacturer I don’t recognise. Great for them to still have games left in the old legs though that’s most certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem using older figures; I have many Minifigs still proudly in service after 40+ years!

      Delete
  3. The arquebusiers are Essex. The blue billmen I'm afraid I don't recognise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anthony. I think you're right. They are q bit chunkier than I might expect from Essex, but as part of this project I found unpainted figures for a Late Medieval pike unit from Essex (now primed, by the way!) , and they are indeed quite hefty as well.

      Delete
  4. Some nice additions there Peter, and I am sure your late friend would be pleased with the results. It would be interesting to find out who the manufacturer of the billmen is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill's Hittites made their appearance at the November 2021 :Historicon", as these will this July, along with some more of their friends. There is a quite large contingent of mounted Knights as well, which look suitable for the HYW French. They need more repair work and won't be needed for any current project, so they likely won't see rehab until late this year or into the next one.

      Delete
  5. A giveaway is the faces. Essex Medievals always have wide noses with prominent nostrils. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could use a bit of plastic (or is it metallic?) surgery!

      Delete
  6. Some nice old figures there and they don't look like they will be out of place with your more recently painted recruits....always good to stiffen the force with a smattering of grizzled veterans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, Keith! There will be a lot of new troops on the table in July, and we all know what that means! Gotta have a few veterans among them to stiffen their resolve!

      Delete
  7. Not only are they an excellent addition to your armies, but they must come with sentimental value as well. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aaron, and yes, they do indeed come with sentimental value.

      Delete