Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Wars of the Roses: Archers of Sir John Audley


These arches in the "gules and or" livery of Sir John Audley are the next unit to join my forces for the Wars of the Roses. 


I did a unit of Billmen for the same noble's cause last year. Once again, flag to be added later
!

For their Bill armed compatriots last year, I used a rather blindingly bright yellow. These fellows are done in the more subdued Delta Ceramcoat "Empire Yellow", which I do thinks looks better!


All the figures get a very heavy, dark, "Magic Wash" , which really helps to bring out the details.


"Longbowmen, let fly!"

12 comments:

  1. A very striking unit Peter, and very nicely done. No chance of losing these guys on a table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. Even with the toned down yellow, they still stand out, don't they?!

      Delete
  2. Lovely unit. Yellow is a bugger of a colour to look right. My old Neuchatel battalion could have burned your eyeballs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob. My usual "go to" for yellow is Delta CC "Straw", but they seemed to have stopped making that color (increasing common with their line now), so I wanted to save my supply for other uses. This shade is close, but a little deeper and more "golden" in hue.. .

      Delete
  3. Another excellent addition to your WotR collection, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, nice yellow. You may find the Ceramcoat color under a needle name. They have a list of colors, assuming updated on their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, sometimes they just change the name, sometimes they change the name and the color. .

      Delete
  5. Very good, Peter! My go-to yellow is Ceramcoat Straw. The tone is a bit muted and perfect for most applications. Some things do require a brighter yellow but "Straw" is most often pulled into action for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too; I am hoarding it case I can't get more! :-)

      Delete
  6. Yellow is the most difficult colour to deal with, I find, you've done a great job on these, they're excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete