Monday, June 17, 2024

Project Waterloo: Belgian Militia

 

OK, I made somewhat of a goof with these guys; they were really supposed to be *Dutch*militia, some of which had orange facings.


After reading through the Ospreys on The Dutch, Belgian, and Nassau forces, it seemed logical to me that the Belgians would have the more French appearing, Bell top style shakes, and the Duct the headgear more like the British. Indeed, the Belgian Chasseurs (light infantry) and cavalry did.

WRONG; they don't call it the "Belgic" shako for nothing (even if it really inspired by the earlier Portuguese shakos!). 

Anyway, not a big deal, especially as both armies were seriously short of everytghing, and the regulations were perhas more followed in the breech! 

So, these follows by rights should have had white collars and cuffs instead of orange. These are more Perry figures. Once again, I forgot to trim the flagstaffs (already done). 

Everything else is correct. I won't tell if you don't!  :-) 
Besides, I like the look of the orange facings!

14 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed and they look great with their orange facings, I certainly wouldn't get too hung up about head gear as they look great the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie; that was my conclusion, too.

      Delete
  2. They are in blue with Orange facings, and on the British side. I'm sure that is all anyone cares about. Lovely work Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. The orange sashes are a big clue as to being Netherlandish ()!) as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. There is an illustration of Dutch militia in this uniform in the Osprey except wearing a tall shako like the earlier British; that's really what this unit is based upon.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I agree with the others - it's not really that big a deal that you got things a little bit muddled Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not stressing about it, especially considering the supply and equipment issues of the times! Of course, I could just redesignate them Dutch Militia and paint a new Belgian unit. Oh wait, then I'll need to add, light infantry, cavalry and artillery to both sides... Nah! :-)

      Delete
  5. Incorrect cuffs !! they should be placed in vat of acid and re-done !.................... or just left as is as look fine :-)

    ReplyDelete