Monday, August 12, 2024

I was feeling a little Horse...

When I had COVID last month, it started by my feeling hoarse. Once I started to feel better, I set to work on  project HORSE. 

I had already done the priming and organization for roughly 80 horses before Historicon.


I realized I needed horses for 2 regiments of Chasseurs a Cheval (Piano), 2 of Dragoons (Piano), 3 regiments of Gardes d'Honneur (Perry), 1 Austrian Hussar (Piano), 1 Austrian Dragoon (Piano), and a number of Austrian command figures (Piano). 

Black, Dark Chestnut, Light Chestnut, Dark Bay, Light Bay, Dun, Roan, Palomino, Dapple Grey, Steel Grey, and White horses are all represented!  I used the method set out by "Mr. Tin" well over 20 years ago. Now I need to tackle the riders and the rest of the horse furniture in smaller groups!

21 comments:

  1. That’s a lot of horses, of courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Peter, and a nice variety of horse colours in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The three steps method. Still a favorite here. Glad you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we use the same scheme. It works well, and I usually do paint horses in larger groups (usually not this many, though!).

      Delete
  4. I think I would go mad, painting that many riderless horses Peter - I find them a bit of a chore at the best of times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them easier to do in mass. The reins and other leatherwork are the part I find tedious.

      Delete
  5. That's not a little horse, that's a lot of horse. And it reminds me of how many figures, horses and men, I need to get cracking on ... lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the realization of how much Cavalry, etc, I had left to do that launched "Project Horse"!

      Delete
  6. Is this a small selection, or the mane army....?

    Looks like you will be busy, Peter! But a great way to get the a lot done quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horse 'flesh' fine to paint its all the leather and 'furniture' they carry that kills it for me. Roughly 80 horse means roughly 80 riders too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the leatherwork, as stated above! The riders are the easy part as far as I am concerned!

      Delete
  8. Gosh that's quite a job you've done there Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking a deep drink from the trough to be sure!

      Delete
  9. That number of figures or horses in one go would drive me crazy Peter, I am just not a 'production line' painter. Looking at my 'to do' figures I wish I was, I REALLY want to play a Bavarians v Austrians game but I need to finish my Bavarians first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't match all the puns Peter!
    I am pleased that I am not the only one for whom reins and leatherwork are a stumbling block.
    Pleased to hear that you were on the mend back then, so presumably and hopefully in pleine forme by now?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete