Monday, November 13, 2017

Spanish Cazadores (Light Infantry) #2 - Gerona

The second of my Light Infantry battalions wearing the 18-02 uniform. Gerona was of course also later the site of one of the bitter sieges of the Peninsular war, where the Spanish held out against the French for months. 


This unit also wears the elaborate hussar style uniform. These are once again Brigade Games figures, sculpted by Paul Hicks. This time they are in a variety of "Firing Line" poses. The casting on all these Brigade Games figures is exceptionally clean.


I couldn't find any information on the colors of the forage cap the hornist is wearing, so i went with dark green trimmed with yellow; in the other unit I did the base of the cap in red instead of green, for a bit of variety. I also couldn't find anything about the color of the cords, so I went with green as being the most likely. 


I used the darker version of my "Magic Wash on this unit, and the lighter on the previous unit. The darker wash has brought out the details in the turban of the helmet better.


Their flag is the "generic" Spanish Napoleonic Ordenanza from the Warflag site; I have since taken some white paint to the black lines at the edges of the flags. 

22 comments:

  1. Another nice looking group. I think they will stand out well in the sea of white uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jake. Not much else in Green in the Spanish Army!

      Delete
  2. Very fine brushwork on these Catalan light infantry, Peter! This is a great uniform. The tarleton and breeches suggest "old school" to me. What was the reason for the Spanish light infantry originating from Catalan provinces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon; it is fast becoming a favorite uniform of mine! Not all the original 12 battalions of Light Infantry were from Catalonia, but half were ( 1st and 2nd Cataluna, 1st and 2nd Barcelona, Gerona,and Taragona). I suspect the Catalan territories, with their distinct language and culture, were viewed as a bid wild and wooly by the Castilians, and thus felt more suitable by temperament to Light Infantry duties... sort of like the Croats and Transylvanians forming the Grenz regiments.

      Delete
    2. I suggest the same stereotypical views hold in today’s Spain!

      Delete
    3. I had a fairly good freind in middle school, Carlos, who was from Barcelona. His father was Spanish Ambassador top the UN or something similar. he made it clear he was Catalan first and Spanish second; he spoke French, Spanish Italian, English and of course Catalan. The current crisis in Catalonia and Spain is regrettable, but it stems from very long standing issues. hopefully it can be resolved amicably.

      Delete
  3. Your Spanish force is geting a big boost with these nicely done figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joe! Next up are some Spanish militia, should be done around Thanksgiving....

      Delete
  4. Lovely work, and that yellow lace is standing out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice work on these light infantry types, Gerona is a nice town too lots of history and a great cathedral.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! After they retired, rather than spend winters in Florida, my parents did like many of you Brits do and bought a condominium in Spain (Malaga, Costa del Sol) and wintered there. I am reasonably fluent in Spanish, but unfortunately at that time our kids were too small and my practice too busy to visit them there. Thus I have yet to visit Spain myself. Perhaps that will be corrected when I retire!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I am really enjoying painting these Brigade Games figures!

      Delete
  7. Great work Peter, I really like the detail on them. The cloak over the shoulder gives them a lot of character too.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutly superb! I'm going to play Spanish next week end, I would have liked to loan them, wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Who knows, they might be available for hire? :-)

      Delete