Wednesday, February 3, 2021

WGD 1971: The Senegal Revolt, 1878

    This account is actually itself a reprint of an article that appeared in an earlier Scruby Miniatures house organ, "Miniature Parade" in 1968. I've enjoyed re-reading this account by the little known historian, Joachim von Srubanwitz, several times over the decades. It tells the tale of a Native rebellion in Senegal, on the "Dark Content" of Mafrica, against the Europeans of the Imperium, their trading companies, and their native surrogates. I hope you enjoy it as well!


Although I would not learn of it until many decades after I first read this, there is connection between my Maternal Grandfather and Africa!  I never had the privilege of knowing him, as he died suddenly under very mysterious circumstances when my mother was only 16 years old. He was born in Wales but emigrated to the US early in his life. He volunteered and served as sergeant in the US Marines during World War 2. By all accounts (perhaps biased, as my mother adored him, and he her!) he was a very intelligent man, and during the short time he was stationed in France, he taught himself French. Indeed, he taught himself French so well, that after the Great War, he was employed as an interpreter at the French embassy in Senegal for several years. 


His time in Senegal doubtless accounted for the Rhinoceros tusks mounted on a plaque that graced the wall in the guest room of my parent's home.  As far as I know, they were lost in the rather hurried move of my parents from their home to a single level condominium in their late 80's. Given today's well justified wildlife conservation laws against the sale and possession of such things without proper documentation, perhaps that was for the best! It was accompanied by a late 1800's rifle of the kind that the Imperium may have used at the battle related by von Scrubanwitz, current whereabouts also unknown!


8 comments:

  1. There is a certain charm in reading these meticulously typed articles from before the invention of the word processor. I love the story about your grandfather. I wonder where the rhinoceros tusks ended up as you wouldn't think they could be easily mislaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had multiple people helping us as all my folks could do at that point was to answer, with much difficulty at times, Take it with them, trash it, or give it away. Neither my sister nor myself were with them when these items were reviewed.

      Delete
  2. Gonsalvo,
    Another blast from the past! Thanks for sharing.
    Neil

    https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It obviously reminds one of Islandlwana in 1879...

      Delete
  4. Nice - the natives are restless! :)

    ReplyDelete