Monday, September 16, 2013

Danish Army of the Napoleonic Wars, Part 3: Line Infantry Part 2

Before continuing on, I thought a few simple line drawings might be helpful:

A sketch of  the 1801 - 1807 Infantry hat, viewed from the left side. It is sometimes shown considerably taller, and with the brim rolled up all around instead of just on the left side. 


A sketch of the pattern for the short Danish jackets, showing the frontal turnbacks unique to them.


From the Text to the Hansen plate on the 3rd Infantry Regiment Jutland (see below). This sketch illustrates the system of cuff based rank distinctions using lace bands and rosettes introduced in January, 1812 (in part to save money on the expensive epaulets).  1- "Vice Corporal", 2- Corporal, 3- Sergeant; 4- Second Lieutenant, 5- First lieutenant, 6- Captain, 7- Major, 8- Lieutenant Colonel, 9- Colonel



Continuing on with more examples of Danish Line infantry in the post 1808 uniforms, we have the following:


Schleswig  Infantry Regiment (Slesvigske Infanteriregiment)


Light blue facings, white piping, yellow metal buttons. Note the black belts on the Jager company.


The officers should actually have mixed yellow and crimson cords on their shakos/bearskins.


Queen's Infantry Regiment (Dronningens Ingfanterieregiment)


Light blue facings, no piping, yellow metal buttons


Each of the regiments had a unique combination of facing color, button color, and piping (or not). See the table in my earlier post for the details by regiment.


3rd Jutland Infantry Regiment (3. Jyske Infanteriregiment)

Black facings piped white, white metal; buttons. Overall, a striking unit, and a popular one with military artists. Hansen's excellent plate of this unit is shown on the Chakoten site, here. Click on the plate for a really good, up close view!


Zealand Infantry Regiment (Sjællandske Infanteriregiment)

Dark green facings piped white, silver buttons


Properly, it seems that this unit was disbanded prior to the adoption of this later style of uniform, the men being in part used to expand the Marines, before those troops were in turn used to form the new Copenhagen regiment. As Zealand is the name of the island on which Copenhagen is located, in retrospect it seems to have been somewhat like a Danish shell game!


Next time:  The Danish Light Infantry.

Peter

11 comments:

  1. Front turnbacks, that is unique. Have enjoyed these posts on the Danes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting army which you seldom read or see much about!

      Delete
  2. Is that ten regiments so far Peter? Did I count correctly? Do you have all 15 of them painted?!

    I like your line drawings too (I presume that they are yours). Simple and clear. You are a bit of an artist too, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,

      Not quite - All told in my army I have I have 8 Danish Line, 3 Light, 1 Liv Line Regiment, 1 Livgarde of Foot, One Livgarde of Horse, 1 Light Dragoon, 1 Heavy cavalry, 1 hussar, one Bosniak (lancer), and 4 artillery batteries, plus some commanders... as will all be seen here!

      The first two line drawings are mine - no artistic talent there, though, I'd say.

      The 3rd drawing (cuffs) is from the Text to the Hansen plate as noted, so not my work. It is such an interesting bit of detail I felt it worth including. As far as i know, you cannot buy these roughly 40 year old plates anywhere now days (I have searched for them on line without any results - glad I bought them way back when when they were new and rather inexpensive). Still, I am trying to limit my use of this material on the blog out of respect to the Artist/Copyright holder(s).

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. (I hit 'Publish' before proof-reading. Let's try again.)

      Impressive. That's a fair proportion of the total then isn't it? Is it more than/most of what was ever fielded 'in anger' at any one time?

      I was referring to the first two line drawings. I reckon they are pretty good, as one who has *no* artistic talent (haha!). The cuffs looked to be from a publication; plus you noted them as such. [I do actually read what you write... weeeeell, at least most of it, most of the time (ha ha!)]

      I am not meaning to try to jump ahead of the coming posts, each of which I (and your other readers) shall enjoy in turn. Keep 'em coming! Thanks.

      Delete
    4. James,

      Depends upon how you count them! I call my units "regiments":, but if they were battalions, the Auxiluary Corps of 1813 had, by December (from "Part 1") ROUGHLY:

      3 light Bns
      13 Line Bns
      2 sqns Hussars
      4 Sqns Heavy cavalry
      8 Sgns Light Dragoons
      4 Batteries

      So pretty close!

      I figured you knew which was which, but I try to be very cautious to give credit where it is due, especially for material that is/may be under copyright... as I know you do yourself.

      Believe it or not, it looks like there will be 10 or 11 posts in this series (the 11th I think is just going to be regurgitated but very useful information from the defunct website, for which no copyright was claimed that I can see), to reduce the chances of it slipping into oblivion.

      Peter

      Delete
  3. Nice painting. I have some 15mm MiniFig Danes and will revisit here for tips when I get to painting them. Those white trousers are (to me) just screaming out for a light coating of miracle wash. Might you try some on one to see how it looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I doubt the wash would do much for them due to the nature of the sculpting with Minifgs. The surfaces are pretty fat, not leaving much for the wash to pool in to give the shading effect. I use it all the time now on my non Minifigs figures, though.

      Delete