Friday, July 23, 2021

Aghast at more fine wares from Pastimes on the Square!

    

While working on the table layout for my upcoming Kadesh playtest, I decided that I needed some terrain enhancements  to improve the look of that table, and the two other games that are to feature Ramses II and his opponents. I recalled the fine items I acquired from Pastimes on the Square, located in Palmyra (I love it!), Pennsylvania. A brief email to Steve confirmed that they were still shipping orders, and we were off!


Tall Weeds, Elephant Grass, Weeds and Reeds, Brambles, and Desert Weeds.


Tree ferns, Colorful Weeds, Medium Scrub Trees, Mixed Shade Trees. 


3 packs of 1" tall flocked hills, one each 12", 9", and 6" diameter per pack. I got one pack in Desert flock for the Egyptian games. 


10 "Desert Weeds", with a 28 mm figure for scale. 


12 "Brambles". 

15 "Weeds and Reeds" 


12 "Tall Weeds"


15 "Colorful Weeds"


Steve also extended to me the same "Buy two, get one free" deal as last year- no need to be identical, either!



10 "Elephant Grass"


"Moses, Moses... where are you hiding? "


10 "Tree Ferns"


10 "Scrub Trees"

10 " 2 inch 
Mixed Shade" trees. In truth, these are really too small for 28 mm, but they will work well with Snappy Nappy Campaign in a Day events and other uses. They sell trees up to 4" in height. 


The contents of 2 of the 1" height hill packs in green...


and the three pack in Desert flock. 


    When we confirmed the availability of the items and the order total with the effective 33% discount, I then asked Steve how much to add for shipping. "The shipping is free!" was the answer. Dude, almost nobody does THAT anymore. Wow!  Needless to say, a big box arrived a few2 days later, well packed, with the items just as ordered. Hard to beat that kind of service and value these days!

Many of these items will also come in  handy for the planned "Darkest Afrika" project as well...

20 comments:

  1. Most effective looking terrain. I really look forward to seeing it in action on your tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nicely done, and the price is a bargain for sure!

      Delete
  2. Great variety of flora and fauna to enhance the table even in ‘desert’ setting

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice mix of terrain there and certainly look forward to seeing them on the table top in a game:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will particularly come into play at Kadesh. The main Hittite attack was hidden from the Egyptians by vegetation along a minor river. I am also thinking of using some of the Desert weeds and brambles, etc as markers for units that need to activate to be able to respond to the developing events, removing them as they do so.

      Delete
  4. The vegetation looks very tempted. I must check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in the US, the prices are a real bargain!

      Delete
  5. Every time I am at an HMGS Con I visit the Pastimes Booth--and every time I am mesmerized by their wonderful products and load up: sometimes, it is because I actually might "need" an item, and other times because I didn't know I needed it until I saw it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historicon 2019 was where I first encountered them as well, and with the Pandemic in 2020, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they did mail order as well!

      Delete
  6. Nice collection of terrain, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great. And what are the chances of them being located in Palmyra? It was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them, and I love the Palmyra location, too!

      Delete
  8. Great looking terrain, the small trees look ideal for an orchard for a later period I think?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete