Monday, August 21, 2023

French Crosbowmen, Great Italian Wars

I think these figures came to me from my freind, Ken Baggaley, a number of years back, but I am not completely sure.  They were in the box with all the other assorted Late medieval/Renaissance figures given to me by several sources. 

They were pretty well block painted, with a bit of black lining on the plumes, so they just needed some touch up/dry brushing of the red, blue, green, and brown. 

That was followed by a dose of Acrylic "Magic Wash". 


I rebased them and flocked the bases with "Alpine Meadow" mix. 

A welcome addition to my Renaissance/Great Italian Wars collection! I think the figures are Old Glory (not from their Italian Wars range, though), but could be Hinchliffe or Essex in particular, or who who knows what else?!

20 comments:

  1. They look very good all spruced up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; they are a welcome addition to the collection!

      Delete
  2. They sure look like Old Glory sculpts to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That what I thought at first, but the faces seem different.

      Delete
  3. Nice brushwork. Alpine grass mix, why do I feel it presages a return to the meadows of the Tyrol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not in the next year, but I do have those additional Tirolese, goats, cows, etc!

      Delete
  4. Great work on the renovations Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I think they are quite handsome myself! :-)

      Delete
  5. Great facial expressions on these, Mr Grumpy and the Chorister :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The figures are from the late great Peter Gilder. They are from his Italian Wars range marketed as Connoisseur Figures. They are still available to buy from Bicorne Miniatures.A lovely range with some of the best Gendarmes even after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting; thanks! The only other connoisseur figures in my collection are his Gendarmes d' Elite of the Imperial Guard; no one else sculpted them in the uniform I wanted. I needed them for my Montmirail, 1814 game back in 2014.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on these Peter. I wondered where I had seen Connoisseur figures before and it must have been when I purchased a few ECW figures from Bicorne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. I merely spruced them up a bit and rebased them.

      Delete
  8. I believe the archers are McEwain figures from the 1970s. I would agree with Anthony on the Chinese figures. The other figures are probably Scruby. It seems new for sculpts are better fed. Somewhere in the basement I have some one piece Norman Knights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard of McEwain figures! There are a goodly number of older mounted figures from Bill McHugh's collection, and a few unpainted ones from Steve's figures that could go with some of these figures. I am thinking of doing a "small"-er (hah!) Norman/Saxon/Viking collection myself at some point.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I am thinking maybe 1 hour wargames or Morschauser derived rules with my Grandsons; they are getting old enough (now ages 6 and soon to be 8) to consider.

      Delete