Thursday, August 24, 2023

More vintage Medievals...

 

This is second lot of figures that Joe gave me quite a few years ago, painted opnce again by Seteve Gallagher in the mid 1970's


These ? Saxon Housecarls are my favorite of this bunch; the shield designs are especially effective.

I have no idea who the manufacturer is.  I think thety are probably mid 1970's 25 mm size. 

The biggest problem with this group is that 2 of the Axes were broken off. I had no idea how to fix that, so I just left them as is. 



These figures are somewhat smaller, perhaps 20mm?

I don't even know what these guys are supposed to be; ? Samurai after a fashion. 

Manufacturer?  I haven't a clue. 

Some skirmish archers.

I think three of them are probably Jack Scruby figures. 

Finally. some skirmishing crossbowmen. 

Once again, ? 20 mm or very small old 25 mm. 

Manufacturer...   Scruby?  I have no idea what's out there these days in ? 20 mm scale that might be suitable companions for these guys. Any ideas? 

10 comments:

  1. An interesting assortment there Peter. Some of the Minifgs stuff is quite small, but probably larger than 20mm. It would be nice to find them some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Samurai types are Minifigs Medieval Chinese. You have CHI 04 (in leather armour) and CHI 05 (an officer in metal armour in back row). Though an old range, this is still in production. See http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=15&SubCategoryID=392

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collection of old school figures, the housecarls are particularly good and sensible call about the axes, the overall effect is great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, iain. I am thinking perhaps these vintage figures, with some limited additions, might work well with my Grandsons.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I get to see deleted posts, Jim suggested Kennington figures, which do seem like they might be a good match. I think the reason he deleted the post is that the company (SHQ) is in ownership transition, so it's unclear how long the figures will be available after today.

      Delete
  5. There are still several manufacturers making 20mm medieval figures Peter although they may not be the best match for your older ones, as the sculpting styles have evolved in 40 years. Minfigs are still available via Caliver Books in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. I realize modern figures may not be great matches in style or size, which is why older ranges may be better to expand this collection a bit. Minifigs are definitely worth keeping in mind, at least the pre 1973 or so ranges.

      Delete