Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Historicon 2023 Acquisitions

There really wasn't much that I was looking for in the Dealer area this year, and I only had about 2 hours to spend there over the duration of the Convention .I also visited a few Wally's Basement (Flea market) sessions, but nothing  really caught my eye there.  


One thing I did want was the other 25mm European Village set from Scott Washburn of Paper Terrain; I used my $15 GM coupon (Coupons provided to GM's who run more than a certain gamer-hours of events). 

In the run up to Historicon I was almost running out of the two main types of flock I use on my bases; deficiency solved with this purchase from Battlefield Terrain Concepts/ I looked for a few more Poplar trees, but they don't seem to carry that style any longer. 

Speaking of looking, was hoping to get a few more Hedgerows at Pastimes on the Square; they didn't have any, but they did have a plentiful supply of their inexpensive and well done flocked hills. This set particularly caught my eye; great for table edges, road cuts, etc. 6 pieces for $15; 1" in height, this is essentially their 12", 9", 6" three hill set cut in half. 

Speaking of which, the same, not cut in half for $13!

Three 12" hills for $16!

As I was checking out, the proprietor reminded me of their "Buy 3 get one Free" deal, which is completely mix and match; three 9" desert hills added for $13  free! Such a deal!


Fellow GM Mark gifted me some packs of Numidian figures from Crusader Miniatures as thanks for the work done assisting him with the Snappy Nappy Campaign in a Day events (write up on the Historicon event coming soon).

As I said to him, then, much appreciated but totally unnecessary!
Thanks again, Mark!


A fFther's Day gift this year was this great folding cart from Costco! Last year, getting a hotel cart was a challenge, so I moved a goodly proportion of my full carload of figures, terrain, etc one lot at a time until one became free. Never again!  This beauty worked a charm; it will hold up to 4 stacks of Really Useful boxes, and we stacked them up to 6 high.

A real lifesaver; using the cart, the whole carload took just a bit over two trips. Awesome!

22 comments:

  1. A nice collection of purchases there Peter. I can't wait to see how the European village pack looks when assembled. Those carts are great. My wife has one for hauling everyone's belongings from the car to the beach. Very robust and quite light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assembling the basics of the village is on my list for the next 2 months. I may not get to the walls and gables until later. The cart was a godsend for sure!

      Delete
  2. Looks like Historicon 2023 was the year for terrain purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really isn't much I "need" in terms of figures at present, unless I start a new project, which is definitely not in the plan for the rest of this year at very least, especially with Lucas likely to come up with another 1809 Kickstarter by September. The terrain was purchased very much with the Snappy Nappy events in mind,. the next is now set for early October.

      Delete
  3. Lots of useful/interesting stuff there Peter, including your cart at the end. The highlight to me though is those prefabricated hills....so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed; this will double my supply, which should be plenty. Very useful for the Snappy Nappy events in particular. I have a bunch of home made hills and ridges, but I can't do the flocking nearly as well as these are done, and my time is better spent elsewhere!

      Delete
  4. Useful collection of stuff and the cart sounds like a smart move!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cart saved so much time and back/arm strain; well woth the very modest price.

      Delete
  5. Hills & flock...good stuff. But the cart, that is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite some time you warned me about decreased stamina at 60+; that was a total non event for me, fortunately. Energy level remains high at 67, but now a bit less durable for repetitive bending, carrying, and so on, LOL! Wasn't too bad but it has taken a few weeks for one of my knees to settle down after a lot of twisting and turning before, during, and after HCon this year. :-)
      The cart fits nicely behind one of the front seats.

      Delete
  6. Hills look really good as does the cart

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cart was fantastic, we are going to get one - perhaps a little smaller - for our Test of Resolve events in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make ones that aren't as long that should fit your needs well!

      Delete
  8. Nice purchases Peter, It would be wonderful if we had conventions in Australia but I guess the market here is too small. Those are such great prices. I can't wait to see your European village on a table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few small conventions in Australia in the past, haven't there? The first wargames show in the US that I attended was probably only 100 participants back in the early1970's/ If you start small (to control costs) but do it regularly each year, it will grow. You have some Oz based manufacturers (Eureka in particular). A group of 5 -6 guys working on it would probably be all it takes to get it off the ground. Much easier to organize in the internet era!

      Delete
  9. Nice treasure haul hail there Peter. I particularly your Numidian castings and I’m very much looking to seeing them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter ... your efforts over all of 2022, and into 2023, providing the guidance and information that helped me with the 1812 North Flank scenario for Snappy Nappy Campaign-in-a-Day were greatly appreciated. Providing those Numidian packs was only a small part of the gratitude I feel for your assistance across the scope of the project. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hills look a bargain Peter. And like Keith, I'm impressed by the cart. At first I thought it was just for your convention purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my convention purchases are usually among the lowest of my hobby expenses! :-)

      Delete