Monday, January 1, 2024

Yuletide Treasures, 2023


First, a very Happy New Year to one and all! Let us hope the situation in the world improves in 2024!

No, that's not a picture of our home at Christmas, but a very suitable puzzle (we even have a fireplace that looks a lot like the one illustrated!) that one of my Grandsons game me!


Now THAT is a picture of our home at Christmas!  With plans to breed Maddie (center) this winter, maybe it could look even more like the puzzle next year. :-)


One of a number of books from our History buff friends. 


Could be inspiration for TTS! game...


I even have a small collection if tiny Triremes from back in the 1980's!


I hadn't heard of this one before, and have already started to read it. 


2 decks from the King's Wild Project -  Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers


Also from King's Wild...


How to enter the Gates of Moria (assuming you speak Elvish).

Upgrading my table coverings for some of my games - Cigar Box "New Europe - no roads" 6  x 4 foot plus (actually about 80 inches by  40 inches); three of them which should be plenty  for anything I am likely to run!


The very aptly named Field of Battle Grassland 2 mat!


...with a 6" grid for To the Strongest and perhaps gridded Napoleonic games. One again, I got three of them, which should be more than enough. I just don't want them going out of production after I decide I need another! 


No lead for the Holidays this year. I have more than enough of a backlog already, and with Lucas' most recent Kickstarter due to start delivery in a month or so, and at least one and probably 2 more to come in 2024, I pretty much know where my budget for figures is going this year!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are very well done; next year's deck should be The Return of the King.

      Delete
  2. Just started my copy of Curely, still his early (junior) years, hoping for more detail as he goes up the ranks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed; the intro implied as much.

      Delete
    2. Finished it and have to say I was a little disappointed. It provides details of the daily marches and type of tasks the light cavalry performed but I was hoping for how they were employed. Waterloo was particularly frustrating - just one sentence and such tease - he says Ney sent him with orders three times to Corps, but not when, who, where or what the order was - that would've been gold.
      I also found the editor's intro to each chapter irritating as they often just paraphrased what Curely said so you get a bit of deja-vous reading it. Also not impressed by the editor's misidentification of the Infernal Brigade or the 1813 campaign as part of the War of the 4th Coalition.

      Delete
    3. Pretty much my reaction. I am not unhappy that I read it, but Parquin's memoirs, for example, were far more entertaining!

      Delete
  3. A nice assortment of gifts and purchases Peter. I too will be keeping an eye on Lucas's latest releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a bit to come from the Danube Campaign, Part 1; part 2 looks to be mostly the French Guard, more French and Austrian Cavalry, and Grenzer, I'd think. I suspect next after that is Baden, but who knows?

      Delete
  4. A great haul there Peter....one day, I must get myself at least one of those pre printed table coverings.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about it for a while, but with no pressing figure wants this year, I sprung for them big time! :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Peter - what a great photo of the hairier family members. Beautiful.
    Some superb pickups there mate and I’m a big fan of the cigar battle mats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carlo. Annie, Maddie, Brooke and Rowan say "Woof", and then look at you asking for treats! That should do it for a long time fior mats, I think. I have plenty of my old felt ones which still look quite presentable, and I have yet to see an 8" grid!

      Delete
  6. Some great Christmas gifts! Great looking dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful gifts, especially the tarot cards and your table covering, and I'm swooning over your dogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; the cards do seem a bit like Tarot, but are in fact standard decks with the LOTR- The Two Towers theme. What brought you to this post, especially at this time?

      Delete
  8. I found your blog doing a Google search on Christmas blogs. Yes, they do look like tarot. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting; not the usual way you'd find your way here! :-)
      Thanks for the visit and the comment. We have a litter of Golden Retriever puppies on the way in a month or so!

      Delete