Sunday, December 1, 2019

Acheson Creations delivers!


Acheson Creations is a company I have not dealt with before, but they had a 20% off sale that ran through November 18th, that happened to be announced when I realized I needed some more items for my next siege game. They are located in not too far away Rochester, NY, which meant US shipping; Yay!


I got this box (some of the packing removed) a week after the sale ended.


These are the items I was really after - 4 gabion sections, each about 2.5 inches long. That's just right for a Gun emplacement for my troops! The base price is only $1 each - 80 cents each on sale. Wow!
That meant the 20 sections above cost a whopping $16 altogether. A real bargain, IMHO!


While I was at it, I got 4 corner sections, because, well, you never know when you'll need them! these were just $1 each also (80 cents on sale) . All the items are cast in an odorless firm grey resin. As you can see, some are light grey and others dark grey. 


 I needed to spend more to get "free" shipping... fortunately, they have quite a variety of items available. 



This quite nice and quite large bridge had me in mind of crossing the Danube before Wagram, or the Beresina...


Stacks of barrels; useful as scatter terrain, or to indicate supply depots, etc.


Likewise for some  stacks of crates!


Some Egyptian style columns...


Suitable for the great temple of  Amun-Re at Karnak, perhaps? 


I have been slowly accumulating items for a "Darkest Africa" kind of setting. 


Thus these huts were a natural addition. I also have the latest edition of The Sword and the Flame on pre-order, in part motivated by the abuse Larry Brom's daughters suffered at the hands of an unethical customer. It's about time I owned a copy of these classic rules anyway! They just funded a successful Kickstarter with a lot of cool items for an African Exploration setting, so imagine those products will be added to the site in 2020. 


I lost little time applying some spay paint I had around already from my various mat creations.


Some dry brushing and a wash, and this should be ready to use soon!


Likewise for the crates and barrels!


Back to the Gabions!  I tried staining some with dark brown, but decided it didn't add much if anything, so the rest I just dry brushed Delta CC "Mellow Yellow" (also known as "Old Parchment" over the medium, brown base coat. Looks pretty good already. A few more colors, etc, and the whole set will be ready for the next Vauban's Wars siege game in 2 weeks!

12 comments:

  1. While I bought nothing during the sale, I appreciate you bringing this company to my attention. They offer some useful pieces that I will add later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make quite a variety of items. I think I need some Obelisks next year...

      Delete
  2. That is quite a collection you purchased there Peter, and the 20% sale came just at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased with the variety, quality, and value of their products. Customer service was excellent as well. A question I had about the Gabions was answered in less than a day, and the goods received in a very timely fashion.

      Delete
  3. Acheson has always made nice stuff at reasonable prices. I have some boxes and crates from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just not a company I knew much about until now. I don't think this will be my last order.

      Delete
  4. The wooden bridge is particularly nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking gabions and the wooden bridge looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian; I will probably paint the bridge next

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought they were very reasonably priced indeed!

      Delete