Saturday, January 16, 2021

Hobby Plans for 2021

  




Covid-19 disrupted just about everyone's plans for 2020, and makes planning for 2021 a challenging matter as well! On the personal COVID front, I had my first dose of the Moderna mRNA vaccine 10 days ago (no side effects except some mild expected arm soreness), with dose #2 to follow in early February. 


Expenses:

I will keep the allowance to $2000,  and hope to come in well below that. If Historicon does not take place, I should end the year well under budget. 



Painting:

I doubt I will be able to match 2020's production of over 3,700 points, but I'd like to paint at least 2000 points worth. 

1) Add to my French and Austrian Napoleonic armies (already my largest, mind you). I have lead on hand for a LOT of Austrians and quite a few French as well. No purchases needed here!

2) Some additional ECW reinforcements (Cavalry and Artillery - Old Glory, already ordered) 

3) Paint newly acquired/to be acquired Chariot era additions - Peleset, Libyans, a few Egyptians, etc. 

4) Add to my Mauryan Indian Army for To the Strongest! Lead already ordered. I still have some remaining lead for the Macedonian/Thracian forces. 

5) Paint the Murawski Polish Horse Artillery and Krakus. It looks like Murawski is now planning to do the Baden Hussars, which will be a Must Buy, even if they don't get painted this year!

6) Maybe start on my Darkest Africa project- I have a fair amount of lead on hand for that now. 



Games:

Try to exceed 20 games run/assisted with/played in this year. 

Historicon is the big question mark. It looks at least an even chance that it WILL happen this July, although it is likely to be restricted (see the plans for Cold Wars) . That makes it very difficult to plan any games. There is certainly no way I could see doing a Campaign in a Day event there in 2021, but 2022 is a distinct possibility.  

For the same reason, I don't think 2021 will be the year to run a Siege game using Vauban's Wars at Historicon... but we'll see. 2022 would be much more likely

One or two games with Field of Battle 3rd edition are likely to be on the roster (? Albuera 1811), as well as one or more games with To the Strongest/For King and Parliament. One posibility would be doing the Battle of Qadesh. 
A game with the 15mm Renaissance Galleys (Galleys and Galleons rules) on Sunday AM is a definite possibility. 

If Covid looks better by early Summer, it might be possible to consider doing a Campaign in a Day event in Connecticut in late September/early October. 



Blogging:

Maintain about the same number of Blog posts - circa 100 per year. 



Rules:


I still have a lot of sets that I want to try out! 

There at least 4 different Napoleonic rules sets in the sights - Blogger sets Eagles Cheaper than Brain Cells and 123! Napoleonics, plus General d' Armee and a Napoleonic variant(s) for Bloody Big Battles (Jared has been using this last with his students)




Several Napoleonic Age of Sail rule sets to try as well - Grand Fleet Actions in the Age of Sail and Form Line of Battle.





Also for my large collection of Superior Starfleet Wars/Galactic Knights ships, play at least one game with those rules, as well as Starmada and Ascension of the Galaxy (from a Kickstarter). 


12 comments:

  1. Solid plans for the year, Peter! I am hoping to see Albuera (my fav Peninsular War fight) and Kadesh on your gaming table in 2021.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are likely, Jon. Indeed, I am considering using Aklbuera for at least one of the Napoleonic rules playtests, if not several.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to seeing your progress this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil. You'll certainly "read all about it" right here! :-)

      Delete
  3. Very creditable plans Peter, and after having done an inventory of the lead pile over Christmas one of the few things that may tempt me into a purchase are the Baden Hussars. I'll look forward to your thoughts on General d'Armee in particular, especially after reading Mark's review over on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, those Hussars would be one of the few items on my list as well. Of course if I get them, I might get the Grenadiers in Campaign Dress (I really wish they had done them in their fancy uniforms, though!).

      Delete
  4. Great news that you have had a Covid jab:). A good mix of projects on the go for this year and I heartily recommend Bloody Big Battles as a ruleset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. At present, my interest in BBB is really in conjunction with Jared's Game club at the Hawley School, and along with that HMGS NextGen, which Jared is spearheading.

      Delete
  5. Interesting plan on the year ahead, it will be instructive to hear how the varied Napoleonic rules work out.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the list to try, in no particular order, are blogger sets "Eagles Cheaper than Brain Cells (!)", 123 Napoleonics, plus GdA, and BBB.

      Delete
  6. An impressive list! Hopefully a much better year for wargaming opportunities, all the best Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! We'll see. I suspect it will be July before things are anything approaching normal in the US.

      Delete