Monday, October 26, 2020

Hittite Refurb project: Chariots, part 1

 

I finally have the first units out from the refurbishment project of the rather large and diverse group of figures I acquired from the collection of the (sadly) late William "Bill" Mc Hugh about 18 months ago. 


The chariotry certainly has pride of place amongst these figures 


The painting on these was already very good, but they suffered considerable damage, with loss of crew figures, missing wheels, loosened yokes, etc, as well as loss of adherence to the basing (this is essentially the original basing, which I quite like, and it is atop flex steel). 


Bill hadn't painted the horse furniture consistently, however, so I needed to correct that on many of the models. There were six of what I have termed "Type 1" chariots like these, with a square, boxy, fairly plain cab. 


Here's the second pair of chariots.


I also added reins to the chariots. Now, they should really have 2 reins to each horse. Having done this before with some Assyrian 4 horse chariots, it looks good but it can be very fiddly. I decided that one reign to each horse would give the desired effect with half the fuss. 


I think it does the job acceptably. 


The reigns are made of dental tape, pre cut and painted an appropriate color with craft acrylic paint.


Most of these "Type 1" Chariots have 3 crew figures. Hittite chariot crewmen used spears and Javelins, rather than bows like the Egyptians. 


The third and final pair of chariots of this set. I don't think I'd like to have these guys thundering down and headed straight at me! 


I added some minor ornamentation to some of the cabs that lacked same. The reigns were attached to the drivers hands with super glue. This was allowed to sit for a few hours, and then the reigns were attached to the horses and the excess cut off. paper tape, from an old I/R 54mm Napoleonic set was used for my first chariots 3 decades ago, but I haven'/t been able to find anything like that. The dental tape works OK, but frays easily and sometimes resists taking paint well. 


Some minor touch up and detailing of a relatively small number of crew figures was needed as well. That's 6 chariots done, and 12 more to come!

26 comments:

  1. Now, this is the way to build a Hittite chariot army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hittite chariots will equal their Egyptian counterparts. Then there the Canaanite figures Ken Baggaley gave to me a few years back, some of which are also clearly Hittites, and others that might ally with or oppose either Empire!

      https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2017/03/canaanite-chariots-pass-in-review.html

      Delete
  2. Wow, gorgeous chariots, love the shape of the cab, the paint job...and the reins look very nice, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil. The chariots are the stars of the collection for sure@

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you like them; there are a dozen more to come!

      Delete
  4. They look good. What make are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. They are from Bill's collection, and he was roughly my age, so they could be 30 or more years old!

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking mass of Hittite chariots!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Peter, and I think adding the reins is well worth the effort if very fiddly. The chequer-board shield designs look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lawrence. The shield painting is 100% Bill's original work!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry. As I've said, there are other nice items in the group I acquired from Bill's collection, but the chariots are fab cabs! :-)

      Delete
  8. Everyone loves chariots and I really love these Peter, they are excellent! You have done Bill's collection and memory full justice, yet again.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something really special about chariots, isn't there, James?
      The ultimate goal is to do the Battle of Qadesh at Historicon with TTS! in tribute to Bill. That may have to be 2022 as things are going!

      Delete
  9. Awesome the Panzers of their day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wouldn't want to see a mass of them rumbling towards me!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yes. thery really arer nice models, and the core painting was solid. Needed quite a bit of repairs, some touch up, and detailing, plus the reigns added but the basic elements were very good to start.

      Delete
  11. Great looking chariots, Peter. I do like the color patterns on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. Aside from some added contrasts and designs/highlights, they are pretty much as Bill painted them.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. I am very pleased with them, and there are a lot more to come!

      Delete