Friday, February 5, 2016

To the Strongest - Expanded Summary Sheet

Although the summary sheet/QRS that comes with To the Strongest is adequate, both Barry and I felt it could be more comprehensive and yet still occupy no more than 2 sides of a sheet of paper. I also like my sheets color coded by section. Here then is my attempt; I was able to fit it onto 2 pages in MSWord format. I'll be using these for my games on Saturday at Portal Con.

To the Strongest! Version 1.1 (c) Simon Miller/Big Red Bat ventures 2015
ACTIVATION AND MOVEMENT     (Remember Zone of Control!)
Easy Activations
Either MOVE or CHARGE 1 box straight ahead, 2 boxes if Mounted
MOVE 1 box straight ahead, then SHOOT (Javelin armed Light Inf/Cavalry/Chariots/Camelry only)
SHOOT, then MOVE backwards 1 box, facing same or opposite direction (Non Javelin armed Light Infantry/Cavalry/Chariots/Camely only)
SHOOT (Bowmen [not LI] and Organ Guns may shoot twice if neither Disordered or in Difficult terrain)
REPLENISH one Ammo marker from reserves
Attempt to RALLY (still requires successful “Save” test)
Difficult Activations    Deep units = Doubly Difficult!
*Activations are never Difficult for Light troops, nor do they go Out of Command
Either MOVE or CHARGE 1 box diagonally ahead, maintaining facing. Mounted units may either MOVE or CHARGE 1 box further straight ahead.
MOVE 1 box sideways, maintaining facing
MOVE backwards 1 box (or 2 if mounted), facing the same or opposite direction
CHANGE facing direction or EXCHANGE positions within a box. After that, mounted units may MOVE 1 box straight ahead
Either MOVE or CHARGE into or out of Rough Terrain (e.g. Woods, Marsh)


EVADING CHARGES (mandatory for Light units in open charged by non-light units)  see pg 43
Need 3+ if mounted in open evading foot, or if foot in rough terrain evading any enemy
Need 5+ if mounted in the open evading mounted, or foot in the open evading foot
Need 7+ if foot in open evading mounted


SHOOTING     All need 8+ to Hit, then the target attempts to SAVE; modify as below
Foot (except Elephants) in field fortifications, except when shot at by Artillery/handguns
+2
Cataphracts, dismounted Knights,/Later Knights except when shot at by Arty/handgun
+1
Later Knights, Shield Wall, War Wagons, and any units in cover, testudo, or behind pavises, except when shot at by Artillery or Handguns
+1
Light Infantry, Light Cavalry/Camelry/Chariotry, or Artillery
+1
Units in a Demoralized command
-1
Units hit from behind a Flank or Rear
-1
# Cannons activating to Shoot that play an Ace must save or they explode (lost), and all units and Generals in the same box must then also save against a Shooting hit!






Cannon






Cannon






Catapults




Cross
Bows
and
Long
Bows


Bows
Slings
Handguns and
Organ
Guns



Javelin
Javelins, and Overhead fire
Javelin


Must shoot at closest unit
SHOOTERS
Count diagonals as 1.5


MELEE: 6+ to hit for all, except Disordered troops, Light Troops, Artillery, Bowmen, Crossbowmen, Longbowmen and Mobs, which require 8+ to hit.               SAVE modifiers:
Light Infantry in Rough Ground, when charged by any except Light Infantry
+2
Foot (except Elephants) when charged across Fortifications
+2
Foot (except Elephants) when Charged Uphill
+1
Foot (except Elephants or Pikemen) in Rough terrain, charged by Mounted or Pikemen
+1
Foot (except Elephants) behind stakes and receiving a frontal mounted charge
+1
Any defending against a charge across a stream, bridge, shoreline
+1
Pikemen or Spearmen receiving a frontal Mounted charge
+1
Foot (except Elephants and Light Infantry) who are  not Disordered and are receiving a frontal mounted charge; War Wagons receiving a mounted charge
+1
Cataphracts or Later Knights, Mounted or Dismounted
+1
Charged by Billmen or any armed with 2 handed cutting weapons
-1
Light Infantry charged by Mounted in Open terrain
-1
Mounted unfamiliar with Camels/Elephants, and charging or charged by same, OR
attacking into or out of Rough terrain
-1
Units in a Demoralized command
-1
Bonus to Hit Card: Flank/Rear Attackers, One time for Elephants and Lance armed mounted, and any time scythed chariots are charging 2 boxes.
Replay Hit Card: Hero or Heroic General with unit
*Units which are hit in Flank/Rear, Lost#, or failed an evasion attempt do not strike back
# Small Roman units in the same box as one which was lost in melee may strike back!
Camelry/Light Camelry that play an Ace when attempting a Charge activation fail and take 1 hit



RALLY:  Make a successful save after a “rally” activation    
Modifier
A General is present in the Box
+1
For each enemy unit in a position from which it could charge the testing unit
-1
Units in a Demoralized Command
-1


RISK to GENERAL: Save 2+, 3+ if Heroic. If fail to save, play a 2nd card to determine fate
Must save if unattached and in a box with a unit that is hit, or attached and its unit is hit.  If attached and their unit is lost, displace to any other init in their command; if none remain, General is lost.  
1-5 Lt Wound, continue, Lost if 2nd wound; 6-8 serious wound (Lost); 9+ Killed (Lost)

19 comments:

  1. Very useful indeed, especially for a thickie like me. I can read a set of rules, think I know them well, then get the the games table and go completely blank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that happens to all of us. TTS has a lot of special cases, which give it subtlety but a bit more things to remember, especially when changing from one army to the next!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting.

    The more I see of these rules and your summaries, the more I believe I'd like them. The grid concept is the thing that initially gave me pause but, the more I think about it and from your tables and descriptions above, I can see that it makes for a much more fluid game rather than having to constantly measure command radii, effects etc. to the nearest centimetre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out with gridded wargeames (Frappe! and later CFharlie Sweet;'s rules, and my own Legio Quyaternarius and Pikette Squared), so a grid isn't an issue to me at all. I think it works especially well in Ancients, where the conflict was at close range and grand maneuvers were rare.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. And I quite like the playing-card concept as well. Thanks Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well, and using the cards makes it easy to see the prior activation number for all the units of a command.

      Delete
  4. Although I had a pre-release copy of TtS, I had not given them proper attention until your review and game replay. My copy of the rules arrived two weeks' ago and I need to pull them from the shelf for a read through.

    Your color matrix does not make any sense to me upon first glance but I am sure it will once I read the rules.

    I always make QRS too. For me, it helps pull the rules together.

    Thanks for building this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TTS is well worth a read. The Digital edition is exceptionally well done, BTW.

      The matrix got distorted somehow when pasted - I have hopefully now corrected this. What it shows is the ranges and fields of fire for all of the missile weapons in the game (pila, etc are thrown as part of the melee process). I could have made all of the Cannon grid squares blue, but I rather liked the rainbow effect!

      Delete
    2. Now it makes sense! I plan to throw the rules into the reading bag for next weeks' business trip. I should have time to make my way through them.

      Delete
    3. You can get a fairly good feel for the rules reading them through, but like most wargames, you really have to play them to appreciate them!

      Delete
  5. This looks very useful indeed Peter. I have just started to use the rules so your summary sheet will be very useful.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. ** I've just added a few updates, as a I discovered a rules errata posted on the TtS forum about a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Garry. I'll be taking it for a "test drive" shortly!

      Delete
  8. I never realized how difficult making a QRS is until I tried making one several months ago. Summing up a lot of rules in not much space is much harder than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never realized how difficult making a QRS is until I tried making one several months ago. Summing up a lot of rules in not much space is much harder than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be hard to fit in everything you want on 2 sides of a page and still keep it organized and legible!

      Delete