Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Historicon: Random shots



A 54mm WW2 game held in one of the club rooms. 

I took this shot because of the use of the "canopy of Trees" woods; doubtless there were some surprises hidden within during the game. 

Big ancients game with rolling terrain in a club room. 

The Aspern-Essling board (10mm); didn't get any pictures with the troops on it. 


The Gemende Au at Aspern


More Aspern-Essling. 

I think the work on this terrain board, as with his others, is superb. Hopefully he will run this game at a number of shows to make it worth the big investment of time and effort (or sell it off!).


La Petit Armee.


Nice terrain board. Don't expect these from me, though!  Just not very practical unless you use them many times. 

Magnificent Frostgrave set up. 


The Harbor. 


Long View


30mm Malburian?


Lovely figures!


Raid on an ? Indian compound


Nice Congo board. I have the rules but haven't even opened them!


Interesting setup, but not sure what it is!


Large Multi set up ? Pulp game. 


The Dungeon/catacombs/Labyrinth/Tomb end. 


"Definitive"  Seriously?


One of the great many extremely well done Flames of War Tournament boards. Not my era or rules, but they do a great job on presentation!


54 mm Ancients... presumably with Commands and Colors. 


Great looking board for ESR games... the yellow might be just a bit too bright for my tastes, but eh, if I could do something that nice myself, I would!


Taking down a game with a lot of depth to it ? Fallen timbers. 


Brian Cantwell's WW2 North Afrika game with FoB WW2. 


Overview - Pico armor. FoB stalwarts Tim, Andy, Sam, Hugh in attendance. 


Talk about Tiny!  Does give the grand sweep, though!


Close up of the village.


"Incoming...."


Some game markers.


Magnetized smoke markers (for hits, I think). 

29 comments:

  1. Many great looking games, Peter. I especially like the Aspern-Essling layout. Fantastic! As for the bright yellow in the ESR game, that looks like fields of rapeseed on the Palouse in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them, Jon! The Aspern board was superb, but there were many other fine efforts as well.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see some pictures of my game out there Peter. Thanks. The smoke is to mark strength point losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I got at least few in. I had planned to return for more, but never got around to it

      Delete
  3. Aspern Essling and Leipzig games, drooling over them of course... :) Thanks Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the 2nd photo that's rules author Frank Chadwick so most likely that was a Command Decision 3 game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, Tom Harris' CD3 game on the German retreat to n the south of France. There is nothing hidden in the woods. They're solid foam pieces.

      Delete
    2. Thanks; missed opportunity!

      Delete
  5. Great looking set of photos Peter. I have been following the Aspern table build up on the blog for sometime now and the final result is quite spectacular. Thanks for the images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he has a nice series of blog posts on how he did it.

      Delete
  6. itty bitty that WWII game at the end - neat idea using the magnetic smoke markers though

    thanks for the visual feast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The individual models are itty bitty indeed, but it looked pretty good when there was a panzer battalion of 20+ tank models driving across the desert to engage a couple of British tank regiment of 20+ models each.

      I buried a couple of bits of sheet metal in each base to give the magnetic smoke markers a hold. Worked great as players could move the bases around without loosing the markers. I ran out of time to do the others, but eventually will have magnetized ambulances for the supression markers and some sort of marker for the 'fired' status - supply truck or something.

      Delete
    2. Some great ideas there, Brian!

      Delete
  7. Some great looking games there. I am sure I saw some posts on the Aspern-Essling game as he was preparing the boards (over on LAF, from memory). Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. We have had visitors from Oz more than a few times, and would be happy to host another!

      Delete
    2. I was just thinking that myself Peter. It's definitely on my to-do list.

      Delete
    3. If you should decide to proceed, I'm happy to assist in any way that I can. Considering the time and expense involved in making the trip, you would certainly want to spend additional time in the US, probably before and after.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Peter, and I'll definitely look you up if we make the trip. We were over late last year on the West Coast for a holiday and my wife lived in the US and Canada for a couple of years (before we were married, I should hasten to add), so she won't take any convincing. It will just be a matter of planning it around children and weddings etc., but I am most definitely warming to the idea.

      Delete
    5. Very good, Lawrence! Drop me a line whenever you should decide to come for a visit!

      Delete
  8. Great pictures and thanks for including some shots of my rather silly DAK & Dragons game. The title page may have been a bit over the top, but then again. Didn't see any other games answering that age old question "can a panzer iii taken on a dragon?"

    It was all meant to be silly fun.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a niche era! :-)
      It was taken as intended, and honestly the figures looked great!

      Delete
  9. Great photos Peter! How did you have time to take so many?! Did you get any of our SYW game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually take a few passes around the site and snap pictures of what interests me as fast as I can.
      As for the 7 YW game... next post, Eric!

      Delete
    2. Oh my! Can't wait to see that Peter!

      Delete
    3. "Your wish is my command, Sire!" :-)

      Delete
  10. Wow some lovely tables there Peter!

    ReplyDelete